Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 02:18:46 -0700
From:      Tom Wiebe <twiebe@mac.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How good is USB Support???

First off, thanks for all the private and list responses on this question.
  Early on in my serious FreeBSD experience I'd have to say that the
community seems to be of the same high quality as the software. This
should be fun!

I should have mentioned in my original message that I had read the
relevant Hardware.txt and the faq, so I knew already that my specific USB
mice and keyboards would be supported.

The reason that I was asking was that the FAQ entry for keyboards located
at
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/hardware.html#USBKBD>;
  seemed to be a little dicey as to whether or not hot swapping would work
OK. From the responses so far, I guess that I'll have to experiment. Worse
comes to worse, I've got a half dozen of those darned tiny keyboards that
came with the G3's and original iMac's. At least they're small.

Tom

On Tuesday, April 9, 2002, at 03:09  PM, Matt Penna wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Rik's response covered the possibility of no keyboard/mouse use
> whatsoever [snip]

> Other points from your post I wanted to comment on:
>
> At 04:51 AM 4/9/02 -0700, Tom Wiebe wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm about to make the big jump and start replacing our Mac OS 9 servers
>> with FreeBSD Boxen. If only apple would release decent server hardware..
>> .
>
> Incidentally, there are rumors of nice Mac server hardware in the near
> future, but this is probably just vocalized wishful thinking passed off
> as potential future product announcements. We'll see.

I've heard/dreamt of this for years. My favorite dream involves a "Lego"
mac, where you snap firewire hard-drives, extra processors, airport
routers etc. together like Lego Bricks. Talk about hot swappable and in a
dizzying array of colours to match your server room, of course.

I hope that Apple does come out with something good in this realm though.
I know a number of Mac Webmasters that have been emboldened enough by OS X
to venture out into the world of cheap commodity hardware and *BSD/Linux.
Probably not the effect they were looking for. :)

>> If not, and I apologize for this rather basic question, are PS/2
>> keyboards/
>> mice hot swappable or would I be risking frying my computer by switching
>> them around. I haven't seriously used x86 hardware since before the 386,
>>  so I'm a tad out of date here.
>
> PS/2 devices are not hot-swappable; you risk damaging your equipment if
> you do this. Very little on the i386 is hot-swappable - serial devices
> and parallel devices are about it. (USB and other new technologies
> excluded.)

I thought so about this, it seems like this is such basic information on
the x86 side of the world that nobody actually mentions it any more.

>> Oh, and thanks to Steve Jobs, for showing us Mac guys how cool BSD is!
>
> MacOS X rules. :)

Indeed it does. Especially the wonderful RBrowser (www.rbrowser.com). ftp,
  ssh, sftp and more right on your desktop. It's like having the Finder on
your unix box, without needing X-Windows.