Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 20:30:40 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sound on FreeBSD FAQ?

There a "preferred" set of command line audio applications for FreeBSD?
I'm interested in the ability to do basic control of the sound card
(AWE64 using pcm device in 4.0STABLE), like adjust volume and input
levels, record and play sounds in WAV or MP3s.  /usr/ports/audio has
about a zillon applications, and I don't know where to start.

cat foo.au > /dev/audio works, but it leaves something to be desired...