Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 08:50:49 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Matt Bedynek <mbedynek@insync.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating with cvsup, buildworld, etc.

At 3:48 -0500 5/28/01, Matt Bedynek wrote:
>Hello.
>
>I was wondering what is the best method for updating boxes based on
>a sync'ed source?
>
>I run 8 freebsd boxes and I'm thinking of syncing the src's on one
>and mount via NFS to share that to the others.  I would like to hear
>what others here have done to simlify a task such as this.
>
>Thanks for your time!

I have one system that I use for source and testing.  It has the full
sources.  I do the buildworld on it and also build kernels for each
of my production servers.  Then I use NFS to mount /usr/src,
/usr/obj, and /usr/ports and do an installworld, installkernel, and
install the various ports.  This minimizes the downtime for an
upgrade on my production servers.  All of the servers are very close
to identical.  I could get by with the same kernel on all of them
except for some very old NIC ISA cards that require special
configuration.

Note,with this approach, runing mergemaster takes the most time
during the upgrade process.    I could probably short circuit much of
that by copying from my source machine but have never bothered to
check that out.  I suspect there are only a couple of those files
that differ between machines.
--
-- Doug