Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 1998 09:55:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it>
To:        Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
Cc:        tanvir@mail.org, FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Install problems with Jaz

> > I installed freebsd onto a Jaz disk and things seemed to work with the
> > aha2940 drivers.  There was an initial complaint about an inability to
> > get geometry info from the jaz disk but it seemed to guess the right
> > values and the install went all the way through with tons of disk
> access
> > without errors.
> >
> > But, now I have a stupid question.  I didn't want the freebsd to
> > overwrite my MBR, so how do I boot this disk?  I tried to use my initial
> > boot disk to point it to the scsi disk but it never seems to find it!
> > Is that geometry problem coming back to haunt me?

Hmm, eventually you will _have_ to install a boot manager of some sort;
Expect for the case where you are willing to go into the BIOS setup
and change the boot order (C:, D:, CDROM,..) time and time again.

I use booteasy and a Jaz drive in much the same manner and can boot
between versions of FreeBSD, NetBSD, W95, NT and Linux just fine. The
only notable exception is Solaris :-( for which I have to go into the
bios. Anyway, I simply get something along the lines of F1, BSD, F2
 Dos, f5 Next disk, and can cycle through the 4 drives just fine.
I use an Adaptec 2940 and 2x external Jaz and 1x SCSI disk. The master/
first disk is on the build in IDE. This is also where I've put the
BootEasy boot manager.

Dw.