Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:07:05 -0400
From:      "William A. Maniatty" <maniatty@cs.albany.edu>
To:        maniattb@cs.rpi.edu, sheldonh@uunet.co.za
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, maniatty@cs.albany.edu
Subject:   Re: Default partitioning for FreeBSD 4.0 is BROKEN!

Hello All:

Sheldon Writes:

>On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:12:27 -0400, Bill Maniatty wrote:
>
>> I posted a bug report about 1 1/2 weeks ago about FreeBSD's default
>> partitioning being broken.  If a user wants to install ALL AVAILABLE
>> (and I am installing far short of that) packages in an installation,
>> the default configuration should support that (given sufficient disk
>> space).
>
>That doesn't make any sense to me.  There are numerous packages that
>would trip all over each other if you installed everything.  Intelligent
>selection of packages at install-time is a requirement, so I don't think
>there's too much sense in worrying about this.

Well, perhaps I exaggerated about installing all packages, but if you
note carefully, I am well shy of installing all packages (although I plead
guilty to installing all the games :-).  In any event
the default allocation is still broken, regardless of whether I (with some help
from FreeBSD's smart package manager) am smart enough to do
intelligent selection.  Unfortunately smart in the sense you describe
means being able to do an apriori estimate of the number of inodes
allocated by some script and then an apriori estimate of the number
of inodes I am allocating and then doing some clever version of the
knapsack problem (ah, the Theoretical side comes to light :-)).   All
so that I can come in under some inode quota.  Clearly, this is not the
solution.  Often if one is a new user learning to install a system,
the default is to install a package unless one knows of a good reason not to.

>> However FreeBSD allocates too few inodes in the /var file system and
>> the symlink creation phase of the install fails, and it happens late
>> in the installation cycle (after say 8 hours or more of ftping).
>
>In spite of what I said above, you may need lots of inodes in any given
>filesystem for a number of reasons.  If so, you can use the Options menu
>to fiddle with Newfs Args.  You have to be careful with this though,
>adjusting the arguments for one newfs and then returning them to normal
>for the rest. :-)

Thanks, this is helpful.

Regards:

Bill Maniatty