Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 2006 15:35:59 -0600
From:      Peter Clark <clarkp@mtmary.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Extending a slice

Hello,

I have and existing FreeBSD 5.4 box with 2 6GB hard drives in a RAID 1
mirror using gmirror. Due to physical space restrictions I cannot put
more drives into this box and yet I need more physical drive space. I
have 2 blank 40GB drives to replace my 2 current 6GB drives. I broke the
mirror and inserted one 40GB drive into the mirror and removed the
remaining 6GB drive. So, now I have a 40GB drive with only 6GB's of
space on it and 34GB's of unused space. I have and existing mount point
in the 6GB of space called /data. I would like to extend the slice and
add the 34GB of unused space to the current /data mount point. Does
someone even "extend" an UFS slice? Or do I create a new slice in the
unused section and somehow merge the existing slice's /data with the new
one? Or am I missing something rudimentary? Any direction would be
appreciated.

Thank You.
Peter Clark