Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 00:13:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eugene M. Kim" <ab@astralblue.com>
Subject:   Status of DEVFS?

Hello,

Yesterday I decided to convert to DEVFS, compiled a kernel with `option
DEVFS' and added the fstab line necessary to mount it on /dev.  Most
things work fine, but I get some subtle errors like permission denied on
chown()ing ptys, failure to add entry to /dev with errno 17 (maybe
double registration?), and some devices not appearing in /dev (I have to
edit rc.devfs so that it can make some symbolic links from /dev.bak
:-p).  (Nothing fatal happens though; I can use the machine as before)

What is the current status of DEVFS?  Is this still a `good feature to
have but oh well...'-sort of thing so it is not supported by many
drivers, or is some serious effort on track to round the sharp edges and
make it usable?

TIA,
Eugene

--
Eugene M. Kim <ab@astralblue.com>

"Is your music unpopular?  Make it popular; make music
which people like, or make people who like your music."