Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:34:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bryan Bradsby <Bryan.Bradsby@capnet.state.tx.us>
To:        Jin Guojun <jin@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        matrix@chat.ru, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE RAID (Adaptec one)

> I do not know Adaptec one, but I know 3ware has something similar.
> We asked them for an evaluation board (retail is about $270) and come with
> linux driver source. It works quite well under linux. It can be configured
> as 2x2 stripe, 1x4 stripe (RAID1), and mirror (RAID0). The 2x2 stripe can
> have 32MBps I/O rate which is not bad at all.

If your goal is raw speed of disk I/O (not size), then don't overlook
fast wide SCSI-2

Here is a snippet from dmesg. SCSI at 80 MBps using the standard ahc0
driver.

da0: <SEAGATE ST39102LC 0004> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 80.000MB/s transfers (40.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit), Tagged Queueing
      Enabled

Not IDE, or RAID, but fast and supported now.

-bryan