Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:21:45 +0100 (BST)
From:      Douglas Hall <doug@fearless.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic with PNPBIOS on Sony Vaio

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 08:59:24PM +0100, Douglas Hall wrote:
> > Is there anything else I should try at this point, besides a new laptop :)
>
> Try disabling ACPI in the BIOS (Plug and Play OS -> No).

Sony have helpfully removed this option from the BIOS with the GRX series
laptops. Sorry if I missed that out from my original email.

I have corresponded with a freebsd user of a GRX570 sony laptop (mine is a
GRX 416), who also appears to be suffering from the kernel panic on boot
when using the 'option PNPBIOS'.

I must admit that debugging this kind of thing isn't my area of expertise,
but if there is anything I can prod at my end to help solve this problem,
I'm willing to try it.

Given this small sample of 2 :) I would guess that it might be a problem
with the GRX range than something specific with my laptop, so it probably
makes sense to get to the bottom of it.

I've tried the kernel source from 4.7, -current and -stable all with the
same results. It looks like pnp support is built into the -stable kernel
by default, as that panic'd with a generic kernel build.

One thing I can try is an earlier kernel, the freebsd 4.3 one is one that
I have to hand.

-Douglas