Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:19:10 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: libh src/ import

At 12:05 PM -0700 9/6/01, John Baldwin wrote:
>On 06-Sep-01 Alexander Langer wrote:
>>  Hi!
>>
>>  How are peoples feelings about an import of libh into our src tree,
>>  in order to push the development?
>
>As I said on IRC in an opinion that no one else seems to share, libh
>is useful in a wider regard than just FreeBSD, and I think it should
>be a separate project that gets vendor imported into src/contrib.

I agree it should be somewhere better than src/release.

I don't like the idea of a project that we have complete control
over would end up in src/contrib, however.  I understand that it
could have a wider audience than just FreeBSD, but src/contrib
is supposed to be for those things that we "keep our hands off of,
unless we really really have to change something, and even then we
have to get the maintainer's explicit permission and a 2/3 majority
of the house of representatives (and every country's equivalent)
before we make a change".

It's bad enough that we have other things which SHOULD fit that
definition and are NOT in src/contrib.  I think it will only make
matters worse too add things in src/contrib which do not fit that
definition.

Let me go so far as to say that maybe we should consider some other
parts of the system in the same manner as JohnB has described libh.
Something definitely part of the default freebsd system, and yet
maybe detachable for use in other systems.  Let's call these
"standalone" systems, and put them in some other (new) directory.

Then let's think if we have other things we could also put in that
directory.

I'm not too worked up about this idea, I'm just trying to trigger
a few alternate ideas by suggesting this one.