Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 02:46:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Heredity Choice <stork@QNET.COM>
To:        "Kennie H. Jones" <khjones@w3rite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with pppd

I have the same problems as Kennie with FreeBSD 4.1 Intel. I cannot get
User PPP to work, and KDE seems confused whether it is trying to run User
PPP or Kernel PPP. I am trying to configure User PPP for a dialup, no
local network, and dynamic IP addresses.

I am bewildered by the considerable differences between the suggested
configurations in "The Complete FreeBSD" and in "FreeBSD Handbook."  The
former was written for 3.x; is it inappropriate for 4.x? Is the latter up
to date for 4.x?

I am writing this using:

cu -l /dev/cuaa1
atdtTELEPHONE_NUMBER

and my ISP's Pine. Primitive but it works.

Paul Smith