Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:23:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        mofree-unix@mail.connect.more.net
Cc:        C J Michaels <cjm2@earthling.net>, Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Is anyone using FreeBSD and samba with multiple interfaces on a single subnet?

Somehow I missed the majority of this thread.  Was it posted to
mofree-unix?

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Support wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, C J Michaels wrote:
> > Why not have 2 separate configuration files.  One for each
> > interface, and start smbd and nmbd with the -s configfile option?
>
> Yes this could be an option I believe with interfaces on different
> subnets, however with the interfaces are on same subnet the os
> will still want to respond with the default card that it listens
> to the broadcast ("I think from what I could test").
>
> The main reason for this research was for bottleneck concerns.  I
> have disussed this topic with several parties and the conclusion
> was made that the 100mbs nic should drian the life from the cpu
> (in my case amd 400) OR saturate the network before a bottleneck
> would occur at the network card.  I have monitored several issuse
> and think for my situation the HD's will be the bottleneck should
> one occur.  This can be fixed with raid (vinum is what I will be
> examining in the summer).

You can saturate a 100MBit network with just a P100, so any 400MHz
processor shouldn't have any problems.  And once you've saturated the
network, you definately have a bottleneck at the network. :-)

Due to the way that SMB works, and since neither FreeBSD nor Linux (as
far as I know) have support for port-bonding yet, the best bet is to
install a Gigabit Ethernet card and attach the machine to an
appropriate switch.  You can get a good GigEther card for about $300
these days, and a switch module to go with it for a bit more.  Since
you can theoretically get 10 times the performance of Fast Ethernet,
or more realistically 5 to 8 times the performance (especially when
talking to 10/100 devices which have a maximum 1500 byte MTU), the
price is right.

For FreeBSD, I would recommend any card based on the Alteon Tigon-2
chipset.  Cards based on the Tigon-2 chipset include the SGI GigEther
cards, the NEC GigEther cards, the DEC EtherWorks/1000, the 3COM
3C985B (note the B revision!), NetGear GA620, and the Alteon ACENIC.
The NetGear is probably the least expensive, but it only includes 512K
of SRAM for buffering, while the more expensive cards can offer 512K
to 1MB or more.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )