Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:21:41 -0600
From:      Gil Kloepfer <gil@arlut.utexas.edu>
To:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: Comments on your FreeBSD-based product

I wanted to forward this e-mail to the FreeBSD group responsible
for FreeVSD "evangelism" of sorts.  The "www" address was the best
I could find.  Just wanted to forward along that I've been letting
commercial software vendors know that their support for native
FreeBSD binary distributions of software is appreciated.

At the same time, I'd also like to mention our continued success
using FreeBSD for some of our more critical functions.  It was
a difficult battle convincing my superiors to use FreeBSD
over a commerical OS like Solaris or a more popular open-source
OS like RedHat Linux.  That battle still continues, but we have
successfully deployed over 7 FreeBSD systems here at ARL, which
cover critical functions such as DNS, time, e-mail gateways, NIS slave
servers, network monitoring, and some web-based support tools.
While the Linux groups have been concentrating on capturing the
desktop users with fancy install programs and configuration tools,
FreeBSD has concentrated on creating a lean (but complete), fast,
secure, and easy-to-administer server OS.  I am not anti-Linux by
any means, but I do feel that the entire "feel" of FreeBSD
maintains the spirit of how the UNIX OS was meant to function and
be administered (using text-based configuration files located
in obvious places).

Thanks for the hard work in keeping FreeBSD what it is.

--
Gil Kloepfer - Network Support
Applied Research Laboratories : The University of Texas at Austin

----- Forwarded message from Gil Kloepfer <gil@arlut.utexas.edu> -----