Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:01:45 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk (Pete French)
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net, Helge.Oldach@de.origin-it.com, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, oberman@es.net, sos@freebsd.dk, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O problem in 4.3-BETA

Hi all!

Pete wrote:

> All very interesting, but a small point has been forgotten
> hasnt it ? The way I read this thread is that until recentlly
> write-caching was enabled by default and has now been disabled (hence
> the original obseravtion of disc performance dropping).
>
> I havent noticed that FreeBSD has a bad reputation for loss of data
> in the event of am power outage, and my own experience backs this up.
> As so many people appear to have been running it this way by default until
> now you might have though that if it were a serious problem in reality then
> people would have noticed by now ?

Well, there are a great number of people running Linux with async mounts,
who haven't experienced loss of data either. And they will happily tell
you that living fast and loose was the way it's meant to be and, BTW,
it gives much better performance ...

The point in Kirk's work on softupdates was to provide a way to live
"almost asynchronously" while _guaranteeing_ filesystem meta data
consistency. This guarantee is lost with WC enabled, so you might as
well mount async and join the "fast and loose" crowd.

Only recently was softupdates included in the GENERIC kernel, so my impression
is that because softupdates is now kind of default, the problem with WC
popped up and was solved in the "do the right thing [tm]" manner.

You are free to reenable WC any time you like.

HTH,
Patrick
--
--- WEB ISS GmbH - Scheffelstr. 17a - 76135 Karlsruhe - 0721/9109-0 ---
------ Patrick M. Hausen - Technical Director - hausen@punkt.de -------