Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 17:49:20 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Rafter Man <rafter@linuxmail.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Encrypting files

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Rafter Man wrote:

> Hi FreeBSD'ers
>
> I need to en/decrypt some files and I want the strongest encryption
> possible (and I mean the strongest/best). So what program would you
> recommend?

openssl is in the base system and supports a lot of encryption algorithms
You can hack up a simple script around it to encrypt files.

To encrypt a file:

To decrypt a file:

where <alg> can be des, 3des, blowfish, rc4 and others.

try 'openssl enc -?' for a list of options and algorithms.

You can try also gpg, it's in the ports

			Fer