Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 12:05:44 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        jessemonroy@email.com, jessem@livecam.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [jkh@osd.bsdi.com: ANNOUNCE: Status update on ftp.freebsd.org A    KA ftp.freesoftware.com]

> charter-smarter... the point is everyone within the FreeBSD community
> should be aware of this situation.

You don't get to make that call, Jesus.  The charters are there for a
reason, most notably the fact that some people (hi) seem to think that
the rules only apply if they don't personally feel a really strong
need to break them.  That's not what rules are about and it's
specifically to curb the tendency towards "individualistic
interpretation" that they exist.  Bad Jesus, no biscuit for this
round.

> Per Windriver, the announcement on April 4, 2001 clearly
> states in the second headline, "Agreement Ensures Continued
> Support of Open Source FreeBSD Project." In plain english,
> this should mean we can continue to develop as we have
> in the past and when Windriver has a course change we
> will listen.

Well, WindRiver has no "course changes" in mind at this point and
aren't even actively engaged yet.  Go talk to any of the BSDi
employees in engineering and you'll find that all of them STILL WORK
FOR BSDi and that the deal is still very much "in progress" at this
time.

What you read back in early April was a press release stating an
INTENT to do all of these things, and if you were at all familiar with
the bigger deals like this one, you'd know that months can often pass
between the time where everyone states an intention to do something
and when the lawyers finally finish looking through all the paperwork
and sign off on actually doing it.  Only someone very naive' about how
businesses work would actually expect that a full take-over has
occurred in less than a month and that we're all now marching to the
beat of a different drummer.  Ha!

That's also why at least 99% of the government conspiracy theories
don't hold water either, though I hate to disappoint you on this too,
since they presuppose a highly efficient and skilled government at
work when in fact no such thing currently exists on this planet.

> Then again as I BCC Lynne for the last time on this subject,
> I must consider she is right. Because I have not heard this *just*
> from her, "the aging BSD mafia...prefer to sit in their towers
> reliving past intrigues and battles. The have become anachronism
> in an Internet World."

Tell Lynne to come out of hiding someday and perhaps she can start
talking with more credibility about "sitting around in towers reliving
past intrigues and battles." :-)

- Jordan