Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:55:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-emulators@freebsd.org
Subject:   Portland Group (PGI) F90 Compiler

Dear Sirs.

A couple of days ago I did some trials on Portland Group Compilers to run
on a FreeBSD 4.1.1 box under Linux emulation. While Lahey/Fujitsu and
NAGWare Fortran 95 Compilers compiled and produced a working binary,
Portland Group F90 did not. It compiled the sources well, but the image
it created dumped immediately a core after calling it.

Now I tried the following scenario. I installed the stuff on a Linux box
and compiled the same sources again. The I tested the image and saw its
running well under Linux. Then I put this image onto our FreeBSD box and
started it - and it worked well!

So, now I'm a little bit confused. Why is the emulator not able to let
the PGI compiler compile this sources into a working image? Well, prior
to this experience I thought the PGI is not capable to run on FreeBSD,
but now I'm still in hope to get a working PGI installation. Is this
phenomenon typicall for misconfigurations?

Another questions regards to Linux vs. FreeBSD and using Fortran compilers.
As we can see, many solutions for Fortran 90,95 and HPF are offered for
Linux, but really less for FreeBSD (only NAGWare, but this type of compiler
is not of our focus). Makes it any kind of sense to use a compiler under
Linux emulation or would it be a better task to swap over from FBSD to Linux?
This is a really seroius question! Many people of my institute work on
Linux but I still use FreeBSD for our backbone servers. Now we want
to built up some kind of number cruncher for some applications in
environtmental modelling and we need fast Fortran code. Does anybody has
any kind of idea and suggestions? I would appreciate anything, any hint, tip,
aspect of discussion etc.

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

-