Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 19:22:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some Observations

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Szilveszter Adam wrote:
>Also I do not
>find it to be a good idea if a user gets the idea that a GUI is part of
>the OS. IMHO It is not (although I saw the differing opinions on /.
>recently) and it never was until M$ put their WM in kernel mode "for
>performance reasons". Here in Hungary almost everybody started off using DOS
>and Win 3.x so they do not have this disbelief and are much less offended by
>the command line. In fact Norton Commander and its DOS clones are the
>favorite File Managers even on Win98 systems today here. So while having a
>GUI is nice to start with, it is not essential. If you are prepared what to
>expect than you will not find this a problem. I did grow to like CLI so much
>that I do not leave it whole day long but only to see picture files or to
>start up the Real Player which does not have CL mode:-(

I'm starting to agree.  I love GUIs and there are many jobs that can't be
done any other way.  But we should HAVE to have them.  I find i always
open an Xterm because i get WAY more done with Midnight Commander than i
do with any GUI file manager.  But i think advancing users should be
comfortable with both.  Yes, i love nice looking GUIs and i usually start
mine right up before doing anything else.  But then i open an Xterm and go
to work...

>No, it is not. It is a matter of having "users" in the /etc/fstab entries
>for floppy drives etc by default. the icons can be installed later:-) I know
>that this

Actually, it's a little different in BSD, admittedly a bit of an
annoyance.  I wish it were as easy as an fstab entry.  But it would be
nice if there were a way after installing to integrate KDE or Gnome into
the system more.  I think Mandrake Linux has it right in this area.

-jm