Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 1997 16:00:12 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee (Narvi)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: Tcl loadable packages

Narvi stands accused of saying:

> I included the to-be port as an attacment. It currently installs the
> script (one line :-)) in ${PREFIX}/libdata.
>
> as for ../lib/tcl/site_tcl/..., it seems a bit unnceesarily too long.

It's not really unnecessarily long; there should be one entry in lib
for all the tcl stuff.  You could argue that lib/tcl/pkgname would be
adequate.

> All of these would contain a mandatory load script (named just load?) that
> would load the appropriate package (and possibly any dependancies).

load, or pkgname_load (the latter would be more friendly) would be OK.

> Version dependance - well, there realy is not much we can do. We could, of
> course, have the load files have ineligence enough to load the right
> library if present (but if not, etc.)

Either that or usr lib/tcl<version>/packages; install the package for
the version it's built for...