Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 13:54:26 +1000 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MP3s and ESS1868

Hi,

I cant seem to get mp3 files to play properly. It dosnt seem to matter
which program I use or which mp3 file I use the results are them same.

I just get a high pitched squealing. It seems the faster the CPU the
shorter time the squealing seems to last but that could be my imagination.

It happens on multiple boxes...the only common factor between them is the
sound card...an ES1868...dont know the brand (wasnt marked).

>From dmesg:

pcm1 (ESS1868 <ESS1868> sn 0xffffffff) at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0 id
14

.au files play OK, as do CDs but only through one channel.

Andrew