Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 2000 08:25:12 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Nathan Sheeley" <nsheeley@hotmail.com>, Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sounb Blaster PCI 128, help!

Here is the recipe I used to  configure a SoundBlaster Ensoniq PCI card.

In the kernel configuration file add this line:
device pcm0 at isa ? port ? tty irq ? drq 1 flags 0x0

Then you need to:
/dev/MAKEDEV snd1

That is it!
dmesg should show something like:
es1: <AudioPCI ES1371> rev 0x08 int a irq 9 on pci0.9.0
pcm1: using I/O space register mapping at 0xd800
es1371: codec vendor CRY revision 19
es1371: codec features Bass & Treble Headphone out 20bit DAC 18bit ADC
es1371: stereo enhancement: Crystal Semiconductor 3D Stereo Enhancement

Don't worry that you also get:
pcm0 not found
pcm0 is reserved in 3 for an ISA sound card, so any PCI card will wind
up at pcm1.

My card defaulted to a volume setting of 0, so I was not getting any
sound and thought that it was not working.

I also recommend that you take a look at The FreeBSD Sound Card
Database at: http://freebsd.lanfear.com/scdb.html

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)