Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:37:13 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Brent Kearney <brent@kearneys.ca>
Cc:        Barth Weishoff <bweishof@cb670867-b.mdsn1.wi.home.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: AMD Athlon and booting.

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 08:16:01AM -0800, Brent Kearney wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 09:16:24AM -0600, Barth Weishoff wrote:
> >
> > I have an AMD Athlon based system that is locking upon bootup while trying
> > to boot from either the distro CD (3.4-R and 4.0-RC3) or the floppy disks.
> >
> > The system will display this message:
> >
> >   /boot.config: -P
> >   Keyboard: no
> >
> >   BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
> >
> > At this point the machine locks.   The machine configuration is as follows:
> >
> > AMD Athlon 650MHz
> > FIC SD-II mainboard - http://www.fic.com.tw/motherboards/sd11/sd11intro.htm
> > Maxtor UDMA Mode 4 IDE disk on Primary IDE channel
> > Generic IDE CD-ROM on secondary IDE channel
> > Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller
> > Quantum Wide SCSI drive
> > Yamaha CDR drive CDR102 SCSI drive
> > 196,608KB PC-100 memory
> > Diamond TNT2 Ultra AGP video (32mb)
> > Soundblaster AWE64
> > Happauge! WinTV Bt848 television adapter
> > Generic DC21x4 10/100 ethernet adapter
> >

> Barth, I have read testimony of FreeBSD not handling IDE CDROM drives
> on the second IDE channel very well.  Although, I have never personally
> had this problem with FreeBSD (3.0->3.4), there have been numerous posts
> to questions@ about this "bug".

This is only an issue of the CDROM is on the secondary controller, set
to be slave, and there is no master on the controller. Using "bug" in
quotes is apt. Such a configuration violates the protocol. That some
other OSes might not flag a bad setup is a whole other issue.

That said, no idea if that might be the original poster's problem.