Date:      Fri, 09 Jan 1998 03:07:50 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor])
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking problem: RPC: No buffer space available

>I'm having severe network throughput problems on a 2.2.5 box with an
>NE2000 clone.  There's no excessive packet loss or anything else I can
>pinpoint it to.  However, there's one reproducible:
>
>lula[35] spray modas
>sending 1162 packets of lnth 86 to modas ...spray: RPC: Unable to send; errno = No buffer space available
>
>Can anyone comment on this?

   "ENOBUFS" (No buffer space available) would be the proper response and is
expected. Spray just blasts out a pile of (UDP?) packets, without using any
sort of flow/congestion control. As soon as the interface output queue limit
is reached (50 packets), the system will start to discard them and return the
ENOBUFS error.
   Can you describe the symptoms of your 'excessive packet loss'?

-DG

David Greenman