Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:43:49 +0300
From:      "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
To:        "-questions@FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.0: test of new kernel fails

Hi!
I'm going to install 4.0.
System: 486DX, 16MB Ram, 2GB disk, no PnP in BIOS

#uname -a
FreeBSD inban.banka 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #0: Mon Apr 10 21:39:28 MSD 2000
gobyban@inban.banka:/usr/src/sys/compile/BANKA  i386

What done (this is my "local" version of UPDATING :)):
>To update from 3.x to 4.0 stable
>--------------------------------
><see notes below>[***]
>[***] Update to 4.0-stable sources.  Make sure that you get all
>the parts.  If you are using cvsup files that are older than a
>couple of months, be sure they have all the components listed
>in /usr/share/examples/cvsup.  Crypto and secure are now
>required.
>
>cd /usr/src
>
><see notes below>[**]
>[**] If you have any of the following in your /etc/make.conf,
>please comment them out before following these instructions
>and then do a make buildworld + make installworld after you
>are back to <multi-user> above:
> MAKE_KERBEROS4
>
>make buildworld
>cd sbin/mknod
>make install
>cd sys/modules
>make install
>
><follow directions to build/install a kernel>
> To build a kernel
> -----------------
> cd /usr/src
> make buildkernel KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>
> make installkernel KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>
> # Verify that the new kernel works, it will be installed as
> # /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE

All this went fine...
(And I kept wd0 in kernel config for now - see config file at the end).
So I'm testing kernel named BANKA:
#shutdown -r now
... waiting for Message to press anykey :)...and press spacebar...
then
diskprompt>unload
diskprompt>load BANKA
<counts...OK>
diskprompt>load -t userconfig_script /boot/kernel.conf
diskprompt>boot -csv
prompt>di psm0
prompt>q

.. and it boots with errors.
Because even if I do mount -a, I can't get dmesg saved
(it says dmesg: /dev/drum not configured), I'll write
here some messages from screen:
[...]
fe0:driver is using old-style compatibility shims
[...]
isa_compat: didn't get drq for wdc
wdc0 at port 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 drq 0 flags 0x90ff00ff on isa0
[wd0 ...]
[wd0 ...]
isa_compat: didn't get drq for wdc
[...]
ppc0: parallel port found at 0x3be
ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range
ed0: not probed (disabled)
ep0: <3Com 3C509-BNC Etherlink III> at port 0x340-0x34f irq 11 on isa0
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready
bpf: ep0 attached
ep0: Ethernet address 00:00:00:00:00:00
isa_probe_children: probing PnP devices
ep1: <3Com 3C509-BNC Etherlink III> at port 0x210-0x21f irq 5 on isa0
ep1: Ethernet address 00:20:af:53:e5:50
bpf: ep1 attached
[...]

Any ideas?

Here is kernel config file:
---------
#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
# For more information on this file, please read the handbook section on
# Kernel Configuration Files:
#
#    http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html
#
# The handbook is also available locally in /usr/share/doc/handbook
# if you've installed the doc distribution, otherwise always see the
# FreeBSD World Wide Web server (http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/) for the
# latest information.
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is also present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
#
# $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.143.2.22 1999/09/14 22:53:30 jkh Exp $

machine  "i386"
#cpu  "I386_CPU"
cpu  "I486_CPU"
#cpu  "I586_CPU"
#cpu  "I686_CPU"

ident  BANKA
maxusers 32

#options  MATH_EMULATE  #Support for x87 emulation
options  INET   #InterNETworking
options  IPFILTER  #kernel ipfilter support
options  IPFILTER_LOG  #ipfilter logging
options  FFS   #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options  FFS_ROOT  #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options  MFS   #Memory Filesystem
options  MFS_ROOT  #MFS usable as root device, "MFS" req'ed
options  NFS   #Network Filesystem
options  NFS_ROOT  #NFS usable as root device, "NFS" req'ed
options  MSDOSFS   #MSDOS Filesystem
options  CD9660   #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options  CD9660_ROOT  #CD-ROM usable as root. "CD9660" req'ed
options  PROCFS   #Process filesystem
options  COMPAT_43  #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options  SCSI_DELAY=15000 #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
options  UCONSOLE  #Allow users to grab the console
options  USERCONFIG  #boot -c editor
options  VISUAL_USERCONFIG #visual boot -c editor
options  KTRACE   #ktrace(1) syscall trace support
options  SYSVSHM   #SYSV-style shared memory
options  SYSVMSG   #SYSV-style message queues
options  SYSVSEM   #SYSV-style semaphores
options         P1003_1B                #Posix P1003_1B real-time extentions
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options         ICMP_BANDLIM            #Rate limit bad repliesoptions  "MD5"
options  SOFTUPDATES
options         SC_MOUSE_CHAR=0x03

#options  INVARIANTS
#options  INVARIANT_SUPPORT

makeoptions    DEBUG="-g"              #Build kernel with debug symbols.

#config  kernel root on wd0

device  isa

# Floppy drives
device          fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device          fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
device          fd1     at fdc0 drive 1

device  wdc0 at isa? port "IO_WD1" irq 14
device  wd0 at wdc0 drive 0

# ATA and ATAPI devices
#device  ata0 at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
#device  ata1 at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
#device  ata
#device  atadisk   # ATA disk drives
#device  atapicd   # ATAPI CDROM drives
#device  atapifd   # ATAPI floppy drives
#device  atapist   # ATAPI tape drives
#options  ATA_STATIC_ID  #Static device numbering
#options  ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA #Enable DMA on ATAPI devices

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device  atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device  atkbd0 at atkbdc? irq 1
device  psm0 at atkbdc? irq 12

device  vga0 at isa?

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device  sc0 at isa?

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device  npx0 at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
device  apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management

# Serial (COM) ports
device  sio0 at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device  sio1 at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
device  sio2 at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
device  sio3 at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

# Parallel port
device  ppc0 at isa? irq 7
device  ppbus  # Parallel port bus (required)
device  lpt  # Printer
#device  plip  # TCP/IP over parallel
device  ppi  # Parallel port interface device
#device  vpo  # Requires scbus and da

# ISA Ethernet NICs.
device  ed0 at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
device  ep0
#device  ep0 at isa? port 0x340 net irq 11
device  fe0 at isa? port 0x300 irq 12
#device  fe0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 12

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocated.
pseudo-device loop  # Network loopback
pseudo-device ether  # Ethernet support
#pseudo-device sl 1 # Kernel SLIP
#pseudo-device ppp 1 # Kernel PPP
pseudo-device tun 1 # Packet tunnel
pseudo-device pty 16 # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device gzip  # Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device   snp     3       #Snoop device - to look at pty/vty/etc..

# The `bpfilter' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
# The number of devices determines the maximum number of
# simultaneous BPF clients programs runnable.

pseudo-device bpf 4 #Berkeley packet filter

-------
TIA,
Igor