Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 16:25:11 -0400
From:      Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Mike Johnson <ahze@hc1.hci.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to compile with cpu opts.

Eric Ogren wrote:

> If you really really want to, you can put
> CFLAGS= -march=pentium
> in /etc/make.conf.

 For more options, or for an explanation of what's what here, you can
"man gcc" for stuff to put into your make.conf. My -current box is a
dual Pentium III. I'm using the following optimizations in my
make.conf:

 CFLAGS= -ffast-math -pipe -march=pentiumpro -O3  (that's the letter
O, not a zero)

 Also, keep in mind what Eric said about support when your compiler
starts barfing (ok, maybe that's just my paraphrase). I haven't had
any problems with mine yet.
-Otter