Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 12:36:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        perhaps@yes.no, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improvements to rc.firewall?

[Harlan Stenn]
> I "sort of" tested them, and they worked for me.
>
> I checked this out by doing a tcpdump of my ppp link, and looked at all
> of the DNS traffic.  Responses to my queries came in to *my* port 53.

Only when it is your name server doing the queries.  My test went
somewhat like this (ifi.uio.no is an arbitrary name server):

% nslookup www.netscape.com
(get address - default local nameserver)
% nslookup www.netscape.com ifi.uio.no
(Don't get address)
% ipfw add 50 allow udp from any 53 to any
% nslookup www.netscape.com ifi.uio.no
(get address)

My default setup doesn't allow udp any 53 to any - I'm running a local
name server.  However, those that do not would be denied DNS, which is
a Bad Thing.  The part for firewall (not just strengthened host) might
benefit from the change, though.

> Independent of whether or not my suggested rule is wrong, the old rule
> will give free reign to anybody who sends UDP packets from their NTP or
> DNS ports.

Yeah, that is a Bad Thing.  I'm using a home brewed set of rules, so I
haven't looked the standard ones over too closely - perhaps something
like

ipfw add pass udp from any 53 to %{ip} 53,1000-65535 #(or was that 32767?)

would be better?  It is still a vulnerability :-(

I don't know enough about the NTP part to say anything, and I don't
have time to do testing right now - sorry.

Eivind.