Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:32:56 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Pascal Giannakakis <CapM@gmx.net>
Cc:        shubha mr <shubha_mr@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sleeping :-(

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 12:09:34PM +0200, Pascal Giannakakis wrote:
> > when I reboot my machine,it says after a while
> >
> > sendmail...unidentified my hostname(BSD)..sleeping for
> > retry..
> >
> > and sleeps.I always do a ctrl + c to get out.
> > How do I get rid of this ugly error?
>
> I'd also like to know the solution to this issue...
>
> - sendmail starts right until you set the hostname
> - the error does not occour, when FreeBSD is online before sendmail starts.

What's happening is that sendmail goes to great lengths to look up the
local hostname in DNS.  Partly that's to work out what the fully
qualified name is and partly it's because DNS is central to the
workings of e-mail transport, and if the local host isn't properly
registered or can't access internet DNS servers then it's probably
time to give up.

It is (as far as I understand) possible to run sendmail without any
reference to the DNS, but exceedingly difficult.  It's probably easier
to learn all about DNS from scratch and fix the problems that way...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK