Date:      Sat, 9 May 2009 15:45:53 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@googlemail.com>
To:        D C <invocatum@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help creating bpf0 device (bpf won't do it for me)

2009/5/8 D C <invocatum@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I'm in the final stages of setting up a new wireless connection but have
> been having problems getting bpf running. =A0For some reason, even though=
 bpf
> has been compiled into a new kernel, the system won't automatically creat=
e a
> bpf0 device. =A0On boot, the system complains "pcap_open_live: (no device=
> found) /dev/bpf0: No such file or directory".
>
> The ultimate goal is to have this laptop connect wirelessly to my
> WPA2-protected WAP (already working fine with other boxes) using a static
> IP.
>
> I've successfully compiled in support for the Atheros-based PCMCIA card,
> edited rc.conf to exclude DHCP and to use wpa_supplicant.conf, and
> eventually compiled in bpf when I started receiving the pcap_open_live
> messages.
>
> I suspect bpf is needed not for DHCP which is not running, but for some o=
> the parameters I added to wpa_supplicant.conf, which is as follows:
>
> ctrl_interface=3D/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=3Dwheel
>
> network=3D{
> ssid=3D"my_ssid"
> scan_ssid=3D1
> proto=3DRSN
> key_mgmt=3DWPA-PSK
> pairwise=3DCCMP
> psk=3D"my_ssid"
> }
>
> If someone would be so kind as to explain what is calling bpf and how I c=
an
> create a bpf0 device by hand, I would be indebted.
>
> Thanks...

[chris@amnesiac]~% ls /dev/bpf0
/dev/bpf0
[chris@amnesiac]~% grep bpf /root/AMN
AMNESIAC.conf       AMNESIAC.xbox.conf
[chris@amnesiac]~% grep bpf /root/AMNESIAC.conf
# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Note that 'bpf' is required for DHCP.
device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter
[chris@amnesiac]~%

Are you *sure* you've compiled in bpf? Did you reboot after recompiling?

Chris

--=20