Date:      Thu, 02 Sep 1999 12:59:30 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@octarine.org>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from 3.0-BETA to 3.2-STABLE: Pitfalls?

> Here I'm very concerned about elf vs. aout or library
> incompatibilities.  There were also around that time some issues with
> the boot sector (?) needing to be marked some special way but I've
> forgotten.  The ISP is 8 time zones away so I can't fix it if the make
> world and new kernel fail.
>
> What problems can I expect? Suggestions for avoiding them?

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/UPDATING?rev=.
Bootblocks and aout-to-elf info is around 19990106

There are some other changes to kernel config (particularly
console/keyboard drivers) that may necessitate some changes when
you rebuild the kernel (if the box won't run with a generic
kernel that is an issue to look at before rather than after).