Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 21:28:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        dima@zwb.net (Dima Dorfman)
Cc:        djv@bedford.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: renaming of usernames and homedirectories

Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > Never edit /etc/passwd or master.passwd or [linux] shadow directly.
>
> I have never used any of this tool, vipw.  I always just edit
> /etc/master.passwd and do a pwd_mkdb.  This eams to work just fine.  Also,
> the only real reason I might use chfn is if I don't have root access.  Is
> there a reason why I shouldn't edit /etc/master.passwd?

Use of vipw, chfn, passwd, and related tools lock the databases, preventing
problems.:

	Suppose root edits master.passwd with vi [no locking].
	While root is editing, user changes something with chfn.
	User is told "ok" by chfn.
	User exits chfn. (chfn runs pwd_mkdb on user's behalf).
	Then root exits vi, runs pwd_mkdb --> user's changes disappear.

	Had root been using vipw, user would have been told:

	[user@box user]# chfn
	chfn: the password db file is busy
	[user@box user]#

Dave