Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:57:31 -0800
From:      Rob <europax@home.com>
To:        "freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How do you get kids interested in computers- other than playing games?

My nephew spends just about every waking moment (other than school) in
front of the
computer playing games.  So this Christmas I thought I'd expand his
horizons by buying
him a new Imac with SuSE Linux preinstalled by me.

I showed him how to use the man pages and other documentation, and tried
to explain to him
why such a computer might be more interesting than a Windoze box.  Well,
he was pretty much
flabbergasted and confused  by this new computer (try accomplishing that
with a teenager).  He
had no idea what to do with it, despite my attempts to explain how cool
it might be to do
some hacking and programming on it.  To that end I showed him Python,
and how easy it was to make
programs.

The computer has just sat unused for weeks.

Did I screw up?  Are children so used to being spoon-fed information
that they no longer have
the interest in independent investigation?  This is a bright kid who
claimed to have an
interest in computers.

Oh, well thanks for listening to my rant.  Maybe it will just take some
time.    Rob.