Date:      Sun, 19 Feb 2012 06:43:33 -1000
From:      parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/home vs /home

I vote for multiple partitions with user specified names (or at least
be able to change /home mount point to something else) & allocated
space.

in message <4F3F1817.7030009@herveybayaustralia.com.au>,
wrote Da Rock thusly...

> On 02/18/12 12:16, Daniel Staal wrote:
> > --As of February 17, 2012 11:46:23 PM +0100, Polytropon is alleged to
> > have said:
> >
> >> Well, to be honest, I never liked the "old style" default
> >> with /home being part of /usr. As I mentioned before, _my_
> >> default style for separated partitions include:
> >>
> >>     /
> >>     swap
> >>     /tmp
> >>     /var
> >>     /usr
> >>     /home

I like having /var and/or /tmp to be separate from /, /usr, /home in
case it fills up or gets damaged. For me, they are not as much as
critical as the rest.

> >> In special cases, add /opt or /scratch as separate partitions
> >> with intendedly limited sizes.
> >>
> >> You can see that all user data is kept independently from
> >> the rest of the system. It can easily be switched over to
> >> a separate "home disk" if needed.
> >
> > --As for the rest, it is mine.
> >
> > I'm in agreement with you on that I like to have /home be a
> > separate partition, and not under /usr.  (Of course, my current
> > zfs system has 40 partitions...)  Partly though I recognize that
> > I like it because that's what I'm used to, and how I learned to
> > set it up originally.  (My first unix experience was with
> > OpenBSD, over 10 years ago now.)
> >
> > I've never seen anything listing the main reasons for having
> > /home under /usr though.  I figure there must be a decent reason
> > why.  Would anyone care to enlighten me?  What are the perceived
> > advantages?  (Particularly if you then make a symlink to /home.)
>
> But seriously, for the pedantic yes, but for a desktop user (at
> least) having home on /usr partition makes sense - balances space
> and functionality;

Give / + /usr a 1 or 2 GB for FreeBSD files; allot the rest to other
partitions.

> plus a lack of nodes on the disk for partitions? Limit was 8 I
> think. But now with /usr/home if you want to install from ports it
> can take a few gig, but that can be wasted because you're not
> always installing from ports, so might as well share space with
> the home directories and balance that way. Otherwise you'd need
> 30G (about) for /usr/ports and all the stuff you want to install
> and then that cannot be used at all for /home which could be
> cleared quite easily to make room if necessary if it was on the
> same partition.

  # df -h | egrep -v 'devfs|proc' ;  echo ; swapinfo ; echo ; \
  # ll -d /{var,home,tmp} /usr/{ports,local,src,obj} ;
  Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
  /dev/ad4s4a    2.9G    1.5G    1.2G    56%    /
  /dev/ad4s4d    989M    243M    667M    27%    /var
  /dev/ad4s4e    275G    172G     80G    68%    /misc

  Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
  /dev/ad4s2        1044288        0  1044288     0%

  lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   10 Apr  2  2010 /home@ -> /misc/home
  lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   13 Apr  2  2010 /tmp@ -> /var/tmp-root
  lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   11 Apr  2  2010 /usr/local@ -> /misc/local
  lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    9 Apr  2  2010 /usr/obj@ -> /misc/obj
  lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   11 Apr  2  2010 /usr/ports@ -> /misc/ports
  lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    9 Dec  6 20:35 /usr/src@ -> /misc/src
  drwxr-xr-x  27 root  wheel  512 Feb 18 13:11 /var/

(There is another partition, /toybox of 8.5 GB, currently not mounted,
to experiment with virtualbox.)

    - parv