Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 13:01:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.3-BETA

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> That suggestion isn't inappropriate. On the other hand the label "-RC"
> (release candidate) stil generates problems, so I'm not sure it would
> work. I suspect that *any* change in name will generate "I tried to
> get -STABLE, and got -FOO" messages. Not changing it would make life
> difficult for users who *wanted* to know they were getting a BETA or
> RC version.
>
> Possibly this information needs to go in the handbook on tracking
> -STABLE, rather than a FAQ.

On another thread someone mentioned making a change to motd, but we know
that this may not work if people don't read mergemaster, or have their own
motd.

How about changing the buildworld and kernelconf targets to support having
a message at the end? This would be a general purpose tool which could be
used not only for going into new releases or for other matters.

Even simpler change those targets to point the user to read
/usr/src/UPDATING.