Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:40:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      sigma@pair.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   aout under 4.1?

Has anyone successfully gotten aout binaries to run under 4.1-STABLE?  None
of the /usr/libexec/ld.so files I've tried seem to work.  I've tried ld.so
from 2.2.8, ld.so from the compat22 package, and ld.so built from
/usr/src/libexec/rtld-aout, after much coaxing to compile it.

All of them dump core when running a "hello world" aout program.  Surely
someone has built a suitable ld.so to support legacy aout binaries?

I know that 3.x was the transitional period for aout->elf, but 3.x seems
like a more-or-less dead track lately, and we're jumping from 2.2 to 4.1
now.  There will definitely be some binaries that need to keep running,
possibly some which don't even have source.  These are customer binaries
I'm referring to.

Any help on this point would be welcomed.

Kevin Martin
sigma@pair.com