Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:55:02 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        m.p.donadio@ieee.org
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome 2.4

--=-njM95Qxwtv8sQZGEVyG2

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 13:45, Matthew Donadio wrote:
> Hi Joe and other developers,
>=20
> I have a few questions about the Gnome 2.4 release that will be
> happening sometime soon with respect to people who are using Gnome
> 2.2.2.
>=20
> I know several new apps are going to be in the baseline Gnome 2.4
> installation.  Some of them, like epiphany and totem, are in the normal
> ports tree.  Does it make sense to install any of these apps now to cut
> down on compile/download times when the release happens?

(Actually, totem did not make the final cut.)  No, it does not make
sense to do that.  You will end up having to update these apps once
GNOME 2.4 comes out as there have been quite a few shared lib version
bumps (e.g. atk, libgnome*, etc.).

>=20
> Apart from the Gnome 1.4 stuff which was removed from the posts tree,
> are there any apps that we should start to migrate away from (eg,
> galeon)?

Don't migrate away from Galeon; it's great!  I still use Galeon as my
primary browser.  Just because it didn't make it into the GNOME 2.4
_Desktop_ doesn't mean it's dead.  There haven't been any GNOME
components removed, only moved.  That is, bonobo-activation will be part
of libbonobo, stickynotes_applet will be part of gnomeapplets2, and
themus and fontilus will be part of gnomecontrolcenter2.

>=20
> For those of us who track the ports tree, should there be any headaches
> that we should be aware of, or will a cvsup and porupgrade be
> sufficient?

I'm still working on that.  I don't want to have to hunt down all the
ports that depend on, say, atk, and bump their PORTREVISIONS (though, if
people think I should, I will).

What I'm considering now is the following recipe:

# portupgrade -rf -m BATCH=3Dyes atk
# portupgrade -R -m BATCH=3Dyes gnome2 [gnome2-fifth-toe]

I think that will get everything.

Joe

>=20
> Thanks.