Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 16:45:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        David Bushong <dbushong@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        rwl@gymnet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot single with new loader?

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, David Bushong wrote:

> You can't enable soft updates from single user; the disk has to be completely
> unmounted.  Either boot from a floppy, and run it on the hard disk, or do
> what I did (being to lazy to make a floppy), and boot the machine; run
> tunefs on the live disk, type sync 5 times, and smack the power switch.

Uh no.  I just enabled softupdates on a box today.  Rebooted into single
user mode (plus I did an installworld and new kernel b4 that so I figured
what the hell), tunefs -n enable /dev/rwd0s1a; reboot.  Worked like a
charm.  No fuss, no muss, and rm -rf /usr/obj was MUCH quicker :)

> After all, it's not actually that the disk must be unmounted; it's
> that the act of unmounting it would reset the tunefs flag in the
> superblock; erasing what you did.  If you were to set it on a mounted
> filesystem and reboot normally, it would unmount the fs normally,
> undoing your work.  As for how to boot into single user; minimizing
> the danger of powercycling the machine;

Eh yes sorta.  If you unmount first, it's fine.  If you boot into single
user mode (which by default only mounts /, and r/o at that) you're fine.
You can usu hit reset from single-user mode and not worry about dirty
filesystems for that reason.

> I don't know, sorry; I haven't tried it since I switched to the new
> boot blocks.

Well duh.

- alex

| "Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern  |
| technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat." |