Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:00:53 +1000
From:      "Julian Morgan" <jmorgan@mitchells.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   running CGI script on my server

Hey pplz,
          was wondering if you can help...  I have just got up a web site on a
FreeBSD 4.2 server that I have installed Apache on...  I know that perl is
running as I have the following running in /usr/local/bin directory
-rwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  766524 Oct  1 15:53 perl
-rwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  766524 Oct  1 15:53 perl5.6.1

As cgi is a new thing to me I have tried installing an application called
newspro... It generates a news service on your website...

I have installed the opening code in the default web directory
/usr/local/share/doc/apache/
The site is up and running so I know the web config is alright...

Newspro then tells me to install the following files to
/usr/local/share/doc/apache/newspro
 .htaccess
 archive.tmpl
 arclink.tmpl
ndisplay.pl
news.txt
newsdat.txt
newspro.cgi
npa_add.pl
npconfig.pl
nplang.pl
nplib.pl
nsettings.cgi
readme.txt
viewnews.cgi
viewnews.tmpl

It then tells me to config 4 things

in viewnews.cgi and newspro.cgi change the top line to = the perl path exe -
which I believe is #!/usr/local/bin/perl
chmod's on some files
If I am having trouble with .cgi extension, to rename them to .pl extensions
I might have to put the cgi files into a cgi bin on the server, which I guess is
 /usr/local/www/cgi-bin.default

Ok now it says that I can go to http:/www.(mywebsite).com/newspro/newspro.cgi
and it should run the cgi script

All I end up getting is a copy of that file - would you know what I am doing
wrong
I am sure I have put the #!/usr/local/bin/perl -path correct, do I have to do a
CPAN for cgi ????

anyhelp would be great...

Regards
Julian