Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 16:42:39 -0500
From:      "Henning, Brian" <brian.henning@navitaire.com>
To:        "'questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   pdflatex

Hello-
I got teTex installed now thanks to Pavan. Now I am trying to use pdflatex.
When i type the following command:
pdflatex article.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-13d (Web2C 7.3.1)
I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

i get an error that it can't find 'pdflatex.fmt'.  I read on the web that i
need to run.
pdftex --ini latex.ltx to generate this file, but i can't get that working
either.

pdftex --ini latex.ltx
! I can't read tex.pool; bad path?

i ran this command from the directory: /usr/local/share/texmf/web2c

can anyone help me get pdflatex working?
thanks,
brian