Date:      Thu, 13 Oct 2005 00:05:13 -0800
From:      Beecher Rintoul <akbeech@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl>
Subject:   Re: Why is my DVD /dev/cd0 instead of /dev/acd0 after recompiling kernel?!?

--nextPart6780310.GWQXRl2S5e

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 11:45 pm, Olaf Greve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, yesterday the inevitable finally happened: I lost my
> 'custom-kernel-compilation' virginity. :)
>
> Indeed, when trying to burn a DVD using growisofs I quickly found out
> (tnx Google!) that I had to add the atapicam device to the kernel.
>
> This was done based on what I read here:
> http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3D152&goto=3Dnextnew=
est
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-November/026484=
=2Eh
>tml
>
> Now, similarly to what is described in those threads, on my box the DVD
> is now also solely accessible through /dev/cd0 instead of /dev/acd0
> (what it previously was).
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this is?

=46rom atapicam(4):
The ATAPI/CAM module allows ATAPI devices (CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD drives,
     floppy drives such as Iomega Zip, tape drives) to be accessed through =
the
     SCSI subsystem, cam(4).

SCSI CD/DVD devices are labeled as cd, atapi devices are labeled acd.

> Also: I just changed the entry for this device to cd0 in /etc/fstab such
> that the command "mount /cdrom" works again.

Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech@gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310
/ \=20