Date:      Sun, 20 May 2007 11:03:25 -0500
From:      "Edward Ruggeri" <ruggeri@uchicago.edu>
To:        free-bsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Random Restarts?

Hi,

My system randomly reboots, usually in the evening.  It is definitely not
a soft reboot, since the filesystems don't get properly dismounted.  My
suspicion is that it is a heat related issue -- I do leave the computer
running just about all day long, and it has started to get warm.  Then
again, it's coolest in the evening...

I have looked at /var/log/messages, and there is nothing right before the
reboot of the system.  Is that proof this is a hardware and not a software
issue?  Is there any other log file or diagnostic that might confirm my
suspicions?

I'd rather not reset the heatsink, etc., if the problem is really
something else :)

Thanks in advance guys!

Sincerely,

-- Ned Ruggeri