Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 05:16:44 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Enabling soft-updates for /

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 09:01:51AM +1100, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 01:56:44PM -0800, Hanif Ladha wrote:
> > I would like to enable soft-updates for /.  However man tunefs states
> > that the filesystem needs to be unmounted.  So the goofy question is how
> > do I umount / and run tunefs -n enable /.  Or have missed the boat
> > completely.
>
> Boot in single-user mode, login and do the tunefs-command.
> Some people say you shouldn't do softupdates on /, some people say
> it is an acceptable risk. See previous discussions to find out what
> you think about it.

I followed that discussion fairly closely, and read stuff here and
there.
I started off agnostic on the subject and remain so. There does not
seem to be a right or wrong answer, more of a judgement on a risk --
hard to say how real that risk is.

Due to a bug somewhere in the dri/agp support stuff for Matrox cards
(a PR has been submitted) starting X11 crashes my system, so I have
seen a lot of fsck repairs happening on / the last few days.
Would the situation have been more serious if I had soft-updates on
/ enabled or not ? (I don't).

This one seems to fall into the "how big should swap be" category.
There is no right answer .. :)

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>