Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 12:50:57 GMT
From:      "irado" <irado@subdimension.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hub.freebsd.org spam policy

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> Well, that's your opinion, and certainly one that will
gain you little
> sympathy with the postmaster.  One of the goals of the
public lists is
> to allow legitimate users to post messages easily, without
being
> inundated by messages they don't want or having to
subscribe and
> unsubscribe every time.  If you disagree with that, that's
your
> prerogative, but to call it "out of touch with reality" is
not going
> to make friends.

oh, c'mon, what a mess.. mr. Phillip was not asking for a
lot of irate considerations. He was claiming for the fact
(is a fatc, may all of you agree or not): legitimate users,
REGISTERED users, is being discarded. And spam CONTINUES to
hit my mailbox.
The spam-policy isnot under discussion, but its effects. As
a proof of matter, today I got 3 chinese (who knows??) spam,
with the adequate bottom message (To Unsubscribe: send mail
to majordomo@FreeBSD.org).

Means: I cannot post a legitimate e-mail to the list, but
some people can. What is the culprit?? the spam policy
actually in force at your side asks the reverse address of
the sender-MTA. If it doesnot resolve, the e-mail is
discarded. Well, I have my own MTA, but my e-mail domain
(subdimension.com) doesnot have a smtp relay. But I have a
legitimate right to send e-mail (not spam) to the list. BTW,
I was thinking that spamers have not enough rights to post..
facts are showing that it is not the actuality.

The point is:

mr. Phillip was not asking for flames. Maybe a polite
explanation can do more than irate words. Maybe the solution
is in the middleland. Maybe somebody have a suggestion, but
is not interested to jump to a war arena..

and the question is: why in the hell I, a registered and
enlisted user cannot send mail from my own MTA 'cause it
doesnot resolve its reverse, while the happy spammer (which
resolves) can clutter my box with unsolicited
information/offers??

think that a single solution is: if this_guy@this_domain.com
is registered here, will pass, if not, so..

the responsability to avoid spam under my own MTA is mine.
And you cannot use my box, even if under my own name (even
my corporate box, I can send logs for the hundred of tries).
Think that I am not more clever than you, I just do my job
the right way.

just try to count from 1 to 100 *before* press your 'reply'
button ;-), as I am not asking for irate words.

and flames > /dev/null

greetings,
irado furioso com tudo
Linux User 179402

there are more crimes under religions than under atheism.