Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:55:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Marco Molteni" <molter@tin.it>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kerberos vs SSH

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Mike Thompson wrote:

Mike,

let me jump in since I use KAME for research ;-)

> Once configured and installed KAME seems to provide a modified kernel
> that adds a new virtual network device (de0?) that can securely
> communicate with other systems similarly configured.

No. There is no "virtual network device". KAME provides IPsec (and
IPv6).  IPsec lets you selectively setup encrypted and/or authenticated
network connections. You can tune the meaning of "network connections"
by choosing your IPsec "policy". If you set a per host policy, IPsec is
completely transparent (ie no application needs to know about IPsec, it
works normally, but all the data is encrypted). IPsec works at the network
layer, not at the application layer (like ssh or ssl or whatever).

> Not knowing anything about VPNs, it seems that I could configure one
> server to be a router and the other systems to be hosts of the router.
> All servers could then communicate securely with each other over the
> KAME VPN.

Well, IPsec can provide both VPN (aka tunnel mode) and host-to-host
(aka transport mode) security. It depends on what you want to do. A VPN
authenticates only the two networks connected, not the specific hosts.

> A few questions I have are:
>
> 1. Can I use standard tools such as rsh, rlogin and the like
> securely between servers with such a configuration?  Or do
> I want to still stick with ssh?

As I said before, IPsec can be completely transparent to applications.
With IPsec (properly configured ;-) you don't need ssh.

> 2. Do special versions of tools have to be compiled to work
> with the VPN, or are standard tools OK?

see 1.

> 3. Are there implications with running IPFW on a system that
> has a KAME installed in the Kernel?

don't know this, sorry.

> 4. The documentation seems a little terse.

can you say pioneer? ;-)

> Is there a good tutorial that explains how to get started with KAME on a
> FreeBSD system?

IMHO, if you want to use KAME (ie IPsec) and you want to know
what you are doing, you should read the RFCs defining IPsec (try
http://www.vpnc.org/ipsec-standards.html), at least you should understand
what a SA (Security Association) and a security policy are.

That said, if you search in the KAME documentation that comes in the
package and in the "newsletter" on their web site, you can find some
examples about VPNs and host-to-host security.

Marco
---
"Hi, I have a Compaq machine running Windows 95. How do I install FreeBSD?"
"I'm sorry, this is device driver testing: brain implants are two doors
 down on the right". (Bill Paul, on the freebsd-net mailing list)