Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 14:55:21 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <dill@canada.com>
Subject:   Re: CVSup question

----- Original Message -----
From: <dill@canada.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2002 1:01 PM
Subject: CVSup question

> >From the handbook I understand that a production server should be
running RELEASE branch. I am now setting up a 4.5 RELEASE server and
try to update the source of this branch with CVSup (Just for security
updates only and NOT update to STABLE). However I am confused as to
which CVS tag to use. My question is:

> 1. What is the difference between RELENG_4_5 and
RELENG_4_5_0_RELEASE ? Which one should I use?

I know the RELENG_4_5 is the security update only branch.  I assume
that RELENG_4_5_0_RELEASE is 4.5-RELEASE without any updates.  Thus if
you want security updates, RELENG_4_5 is the one to use.

> 2. Are there any other way to do this? I am not too comfortable with
this un-updated machine to connect to the net and download source.
Could I use another machine and download the source and then transfer
data by a CD ? If so, how (or point me to the right doc please) ?

I'm sure this is possible.  I seem to recall something in the handbook
about doing updates on one machine and then using NFS and updating all
machines in your environment.  Maybe someone else will have more
specifics.

HTH,

Drew