Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 02:53:35 -0700
From:      "Morgan Stewart" <veenoghu@uvic.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Christoph Sold" <so@i-clue.de>
Subject:   RE: Mount Question

It would appear that the problem was I was trying to refer to the drive as
/dev/ad0s2a and /dev/wd0s2a.  It would appear that FreeBSD 4.0 doesn't like
calling FreeBSD 2.2.6 partitions ad or wd.  Instead, I have now learned by
trial and fsck error that the drive is properly referred to as /dev/rwd0s2a.

And it has now successfully mounted.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Morgan Stewart
veenoghu@uvic.ca

  _____
	One of the questions that comes up all the time is: How
enthusiastic is our support for UNIX?
	Unix was written on our machines and for our machines many
years ago.  Today, much of UNIX being done is done on our machines.
Ten percent of our VAXs are going for UNIX use.  UNIX is a simple
language, easy to understand, easy to get started with.  It's great for
students, great for somewhat casual users, and it's great for
interchanging programs between different machines.  And so, because of
its popularity in these markets, we support it.  We have good UNIX on
VAX and good UNIX on PDP-11s.
	It is our belief, however, that serious professional users will
run out of things they can do with UNIX. They'll want a real system and
will end up doing VMS when they get to be serious about programming.
	With UNIX, if you're looking for something, you can easily and
quickly check that small manual and find out that it's not there.  With
VMS, no matter what you look for -- it's literally a five-foot shelf of
documentation -- if you look long enough it's there.  That's the
difference -- the beauty of UNIX is it's simple; and the beauty of VMS
is that it's all there.
		-- Ken Olsen, President of DEC, 1984
  _____

Chairperson of the UVic Students' Society <http://www.uvss.uvic.ca/>;  Local
44 of the Canadian Federation of Students <http://www.cfs-fcee.ca/>;

(250) 721-8370 Work & Fax (250) 472-4379

JOIN

The campaign for higher education...
www.cfs.bc.ca