Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:38:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jeremy Nelson <jfn@enteract.com>
To:        brent@kearneys.ca
Subject:   Re: AMD Athlon and booting.

I'm sorry to barge in on the middle of this, but i had this exact same
problem, and was able to work out how to fix it.

>On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 09:16:24AM -0600, Barth Weishoff wrote:
>>
>> I have an AMD Athlon based system that is locking upon bootup while trying
>> to boot from either the distro CD (3.4-R and 4.0-RC3) or the floppy disks.
>>
>> The system will display this message:
>>
>>   /boot.config: -P
>>   Keyboard: no
>>
>>   BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
>>
>> At this point the machine locks.   The machine configuration is as follows:
>>
>> AMD Athlon 650MHz
>> FIC SD-II mainboard - http://www.fic.com.tw/motherboards/sd11/sd11intro.htm
[rest snipped]

I found that the problem had something to do with numlock.  I was able to
confirm this by testing this about two dozen times.  Here is what i found:
If <Numlock> is off, your keyboard will *not* be found, and you're stuck.
I tried various togglings of <numlock>, and what i found worked the best is to
set your bios to turn <numlock> on at boot-up, and then turn <numlock> off and
then immediately back on while the bios is checking your memory.  I know this
sounds crazy, but it worked for me and I tried almost every other possible
combination of <numlock> tricks, and that was the one that caused the boot
disk to find the keyboard.  I basically have the exact same setup as you
except that i have a K7-550.

Note that this is only a problem for the boot disk.  Once you have freebsd
installed, you don't need to go through this again every time you boot.

Jeremy