Date:      13 Apr 2000 07:28:14 +0200
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: high volume mail server hardware suggestions

mpd@bluetie.net ("Michael Dungan") writes:

> Does anyone have any suggestions for hardware for running high
> volume e-mail servers with FreeBSD? Should I use a few "large"
> servers, or several smaller ones?

Postfix and FAST disks.  In high volume environments the hardware
is IO bound not CPU bound so fast disks are very important.
or www.securepoint.com where there have been several discussions about
performance optimisation for mail servers.  Brad Knowles has written
a paper about optimising sendmail, but the general principles are the
same.

Hope this helps.

Simon
--