Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:08:21 -0500
From:      Mark Moellering <mark@msen.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ls sees disk but mount_ntfs doesn't

On Thursday 31 January 2008 9:59 am, Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get some data off a laptop. The disk is buried inside
> somewhere so to avoid dismantling the laptop I am trying to mount it
> using a FreeBSD livefs cd (7.0RC1).
>
> Note all the commands and output below are typed up by hand but I think
> they are accurate.
>
> Fixit# ls -l /dev/ad0s2
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  94 Jan 31 13:39 /dev/ad0s2
> Fixit# mount_ntfs -o ro /dev/ad0s2 /mnt
> mount_ntfs: /dev/ad0s2: No such file or director
>

> So I thought I would try using ntfs-3g which I would prefer anyway as it
>   is probably safer.
>
> Fixit# pkg_add -r fusefs-ntfs
> Fetching ftp://[pathto]fusefs-ntfs.tbs...pkg_add: warning error writing
> to tar: Broken pipe Done.
> pkg_add: unable to open table of contents of file '+CONTENTS' - not a
> package?
> Fixit#
>
> Lastly dmesg shows:
> GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider ad0s2 is ntfs/HDD.
>
> So how can I mount the hard disk?
>
> Or can anyone suggest an alternative way to get the data other than
> dismantling the laptop? I've tried ping which is a linux based disk
> cloning livecd but it can't see network or a usb hard drive.
>
> As a secondary question, could ntfs-3g be included in the livefs CD? It
> seems like quite a useful utility to have.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris

Chris,  On my system, the ntfs partition you need to mount is ad0s1

Also, make sure that the ntfs driver is either in your kernel or loaded as a
module at boot,  should be ntfs_load="YES" in loader.conf as module
This should allow you to mount the drive, assuming nothing major is wrong with
it.  (I have  dual boot system  andthese are the settings I use)  obviously,
if you are not mounting as root, you have to make sure you can mount as a
user...

Mark Moellering
Psyberation, inc.