Date:      Sun, 4 May 2003 01:56:38 +0200
From:      Alson van der Meulen <freebsd@alm.xs4all.nl>
To:        David Babler <dbabler@rigel.orionsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Email migration from VopMail

* David Babler <dbabler@rigel.orionsys.com> [2003-05-04 01:34]:
> I have a customer who wants to move his dialup customers (600+ accounts)
> from VopMail on Windows 2000 to Unix. So far, so good. Unfortunately, he
> has all of his customers configured with a non-standard setup that
> VopMail supports for virtual domains, though 98% of them are in the real
> domain. Specifically he has them all set up to present a "username" as
> 'user@example.com', the same as their realmed dialup login.

Vpopmail: http://inter7.com/vpopmail.html
should be able to do what you want, it supports usernames like
'user@domain'. It's designed to work with the qmail MTA, but the website
explains how to make it work with postfix. It's in the ports under
mail/vpopmail-stable.

> He needs SMTP, ASMTP, POP3 and IMAP. He DOES NOT want to have to have
> any customers change their setups or email addresses and I am having a
> devil of a time explaining how non-standard VopMail is. Does anybody
> know of any way that sendmail or postfix and anybody's POP3 and IMAP can
> be forced into authenticating with such a non-standard login?

SMTP will obviously be handled by sendmail/postfix. Since courier-imap
is listed as compatible with vpopmail, I assume you can use it for POP3
and IMAP. The only disadvantage is that vpopmail is designed to work
with qmail, so it uses the same tools and syntax (tcpserver,
/var/qmail/control).

For ASMTP, look under SASL on http://www.postfix.org/docs.html.

I assume this can be done with sendmail too, but I'm not sure whether
sendmail works with vpopmail.

HTH,
Alson