Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:04:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Dmitry Koltsov <root@hostonfly.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ADD TO(NEW Info): Apache/TCP stack issues

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Dmitry Koltsov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running on 4.4-stable.
>
> Seems like my problem is (connection refused) caused by listen queue.
>
> I have 1-10 requsts in apache listen queue (port 80), queue len is 511
> connections and have counter "listen queue overflows" growing in the same time (!)
>
> Current listen queue sizes (qlen/incqlen/maxqlen)
> Listen         Local Address
> 11/11/511      216.65.107.31.80
>
> How it may be? Is there solution?

As I said before, the listen queue has been mostly replaced by the syn
cache in 4.5.  Therefore, it is very unlikely that anyone is going to go
back and work on it.  If you are concerned about listen queue overflows,
upgrade to 4.5.

> Also I have tested queue with simple program (socket(), bind(), listen(sock,128), do nothing in the loop)
> and received this amazing stats:
>
> Current listen queue sizes (qlen/incqlen/maxqlen)
> Listen         Local Address
> 193/0/128      216.65.107.31.81      (queue len >> queue maxlen) !!!

That's entirely expected, and the reason why is visible in the source.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack